Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010
Prepare yourself to be floored:
Google Maps keeps evolving, expanding the ability to drill down into granular detail. The latest updated trick? Mapping foreclosures for sale.
Google Maps Foreclosure Listings
1. Punch in any US address into Google Maps.
2. Your options are Earth, Satellite, Map, Traffic and . . . More. (Select “More”)
3. The drop down menu gives you a check box option for “Real Estate.”
4. The left column will give you several options (You may have to select “Show Options”)
5. Check the box marked “Foreclosure.”
Voila! Most foreclosures that are for sale in the USA are now showing on your screen.
Note: This map does not reveal any of the millions of REOs that have already been sold by the banks that hold them.
But the maps do reveal an entire nation littered with foreclosure sales. It is an ugly and graphic depiction of how much inventory is out there, and why housing is still many years away from being healthy.
To zoom in and see exactly the extent of foreclosures in Florida, for example, one of the biggest boom & bust regions, click the image to enlarge.